Morning Sickness (nausea)
What you can do to help?
Nibble some plain crackers, dry toast, dry cereals before getting out of bed in the morning and when you are feeling queasy.
- Eat six to eight small meals throughout the day instead of big meals.
- Try eating protein snacks.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Avoid odours or foods that set off the nausea.
- You may have to avoid prenatal vitamins during the first trimester if they seem to worsen the nausea.
- Drink liquids between meals not with meals.
- Avoid dehydration by drinking water and nutritious smoothies and eating ice chips.
- Sip on ginger ale, water, weak tea, or mild fruit juices.
- Try diluting a caffeine-free sports drink with half water and sip on this liquid all day.
- Avoid greasy or spicy foods.
- Chew gum or suck on hard candy (mints/ginger).
- Sit and put your head down between your legs.
- Motion/Sea sickness bands may help.
- Acupuncture may be helpful.